Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Common Sense Media Website

Hello,
I have something different for you this week. Usually I stick with books and other print materials, but this week I am bringing you a tool that you can share with the families in your school if you want. The tool is a website that rates Movies (in and out of theaters), DVDs, Games, Websites, TV, Books Music, and Mobile Apps for age appropriateness from age 2 - 18. The website is www.commonsensemedia.org.

You may have to sign up to use the site, but it is free and quick. You can also personalize a page according to the age of your child or children. What I think makes this website so helpful is the reviews which are very helpful for parents. Each review has explanations for why the program is rated the way it is. The ratings include five areas of concern for most parents – Violence and scariness, Sexy stuff, Language, Consumerism, and Drinking, drugs, and smoking.

I logged on today and noticed a movie that is coming to theaters soon – Shrek 3 - and I looked at the recommendations. This movie is listed as being age appropriate for ages 6 and up. Scenes that have some violence in them are described. Here is the description from the Common Sense website. “Characters in peril; ogre hunters wave pitchforks and torches; a bird explodes; scary fire-breathing dragon (who is much less scary when she gets a crush on Donkey); one character is eaten in one gulp by the dragon.” If a parent is considering taking a child to this movie, it would be helpful to know what kinds of things to expect.

I also picked an old musical that I enjoy to see what was said about it. “My Fair Lady” had comments about alcoholism being treated as serious and also as a gag. Listed also were the bad words found in the movie. I was quite surprised since I consider this a pretty tame movie. I checked out TV programs, games, and music, as well.

There are different tabs for New Releases, We Recommend, Parents Recommend, and Kids Recommend. The site also has a section for Parents and one for Educators. I have barely touched on the information that is available here. You need to go see for yourselves.

Once you have visited this website, you might want to let the parents of your students know about the site. If you have a school or classroom newsletter, this would be a good item for that.

I hope you have a great week and a wonderful Memorial Day vacation!
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment