Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Books I Would Make Sure My Library Had

Hello,
At first I thought I would call this post “If Your Library Doesn’t Have These Books, Drop Everything and Go Get Them Right Now”, but then reason took over and I realized that it is kind of bossy for me to say it like that. So here is the title of this post. “Books I Would Make Sure My Library Had.” Or for an even shorter version,” Books Audrey Loves”. The shorter version is not quite true because space and time prevent me from listing all the books I love.

Anyway, these books are not new. In fact, many of them are quite old and some are considered classics. I will also say that it is true that I believe every school library should have these books.

Enough said. Now to the list.

Brink, Carol Ryrie – Caddie Woodlawn, Magical Melons, Two Are Better Than One, Winter Cottage, and more

Cleary, Beverly –Ramona and Beezus, Henry Huggins, Muggie Maggie, basically anything she wrote

Campbell, Sam – classic books for any SDA school library

Burnett, Frances Hodgson – The Secret Garden – Read this aloud to any age.

The Dear America series by various authors (Also, there are a few Dear Canada books, as well.)

Fitzgerald, John - The Great Brain series (I haven’t read these, but other teachers have told me they really enjoy them.)

Farley, Walter – The Black Stallion series

Henry, Marguerite – Misty of Chincoteague, Justin Morgan Had a Horse, and more

Konigsburg, E. L – From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, The View From Saturday and more

McCloskey, Robert – Famous for “Make Way for Ducklings”, but has also written chapter books such as Homer Price and Centerburg Tales

MacLaughlin, Patricia – Sarah, Plain and Tall; The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt; Cassie Binegar, Rhymes With Vinegar; and more

Mowat, Farley – Owls in the Family (Great read aloud for any age) and The Dog Who Wouldn’t Be

McSwigan, Marie – Snow Treasure (Another great read aloud for all ages)

Montgomery, L. M. – Anne of Green Gables series (I have loved this series since I was twelve years old. If anyone tells you they saw the movie, ask them to read the first three chapters, then if they don’t like it, you will find something else for them. You probably will not have to do anything more. Unfortunately, I have not had good luck reading this aloud. You might have better luck than I.)

Speare, Elizabeth George – The Witch of Blackbird Pond (Not to worry, it isn’t about a witch, but a historical fiction story about a woman accused of being a witch.) Also, Sign of the Beaver, Calico Captive, and The Bronze Bow. She only wrote four books, but all are worthy.)

Wilder, Laura Ingalls – The Little House series. Good read alouds.

You likely have many of these already in your collection. If you find that the students aren’t reading these, try reading portions of the book and see how they fly off the shelves.

I hope you have a wonderful week,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment