Monday, September 26, 2011

Hello,
This week I am trying something new. I want to show you how to tape a paperback book to extend its life on your library shelves. I am also going to try to insert pictures to make this easier for those of you who are visual learners like me.
You may have a method of taping that works well for you and I am glad, but many schools do not tape the paperback books and may not realize how helpful it can be in the long run. Once you do a few, you can easily teach one or two older students to do this and they can take over the job of taping books for you.

First, you need a paperback book. I put the spine label on first so the taping will be the protector and I don’t have to use a separate label protector. You also need tape. I really like Scotch 845 Book Tape and I have found that the 2-inch wide tape is the best and most versatile. It fits all but the widest books and there are so few of them in paperback that it is just not worth purchasing wider tape for them. I just use two strips on the spines for those. You will need scissors to cut the tape and a bone folder to burnish the tape down. Fingers work OK, but having something hard to smooth out the tape is really best. You can probably find something other than the bone folder to use, but you can purchase one from Highsmith for less than $1.50 and it is just a nice tool to have.

















Measure out the tape visually so a bit extends on each end of the books’ spine.



















I sometimes put the book between my knees to center the tape visually before putting it down.










Smooth the spine with your finger, the burnish it with the bone folder.

























Carefully smooth each side down one at a time, smoothing with fingers, then the bone folder.
























For the edges of the cover, visually measure out the length again having a bit extend on each end. Place carefully so the center of the tape is on the edge of the cover. Smooth and burnish, then open the cover to smooth down the tape on the inside of the cover.



































Trim the tape flush with the book so no edges of the tape show. It may be that there is a small bubble of air under the tape. Often this can be pushed out using the bone folder, but if not, then make a small prick in the bubble and burnish it down.




















Now you have taped a book and have covered the parts that are used the most by children’s hands. Some people tape the entire cover, but I have found that this often makes the cover curl up and not lie nice and flat.

Here are the supplies I used and the approximate cost of them from Highsmith, the library supply source I use most often. I have found that one roll of tape will cover the spines and edges of approximately 20 – 24 paperback books. You might be tempted to purchase packing tape and use that since it is cheaper, but we have learned that the Scotch book tape is easier to apply and our helpers agreed it was worth the extra amount.

Scotch 845 Book Tape, 2-inch wide $6.34 - $6.80 each
Bone folder $1.44 each
Scissors


Please note that I am not being paid by Highsmith for promotion. I mention them because other teachers have asked me where they can get the supplies I use.

By the way, if you haven’t read the book I just taped, Dewey by Vickie Myron, it is an enjoyable story and would be a great read aloud for your students.

I hope this has been helpful for you. Please let me know if you have any questions.
Have a great week,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment