Monday, April 8, 2013

Christian Fiction, part 2

Greetings,

Last week I started a post with titles you might find in a Christian book store. I cut the post short so that I would not overwhelm you with information. So let’s continue where I left off last week.

Lois Walfrid Johnson has written a series titles “The Adventures of the Northwoods” about a family and life at the turn of the century in 1906. The children who like mystery and adventure will enjoy this award-winning series. This is appropriate for boys and girls as a read aloud and students in middle grades and up will be able to read it independently.

Another early 1900’s series is the Mandie series by Lois Gladys Leppard. It is the story of a young girl and her Southern roots and Cherokee background. There are a few dozen in the series. If you can’t find them in print, check a used bookstore. These are still quite popular with students at my school.

Beverly Lewis is a machine as far as it comes to writing books. She writes for all ages. Your middle and upper grade girls will enjoy the Girls Only series and Holly’s Heart series. We actually have younger girls wanting to check these out. We try to dissuade them from this as the girls in these books are high school age girls and have boyfriends and experiences that the younger girls may not be ready for yet. Beverly is also famous for her Amish stories which are also popular with our students and even some of our parents! I have not found any book written by Beverly Lewis that would be inappropriate for our schools.

If your older girls want romance books, consider getting a few Christian romance books by Grace Livingston Hill. I have a friend who lent me a couple of her collection years ago and I started a collection of my own. My friend had two young daughters and was saving them for her girls to read when they got old enough to want to read romance books. Grace Livingston Hill’s characters study the Bible and stand strong in their faith or return to their faith.

Robin Jones Gunn has written a series of books about a girl named Christy Miller. These also are similar to the Holly’s Heart books by Beverly Lewis in that they are geared for older elementary students or high school students. The series is published by Focus on the Family.

Camp Club Girls is a series written by various authors. The series is about a group of girls that end up as roommates at camp and find a mystery going on. Each book focuses on a different girl. You don’t have to have the whole set, because each book stands alone.

I would suspect that most of you have the Sam Campbell nature books. If you don’t, they have been published again in paperback with colorful covers. These should be standard in our libraries. You may not know, but you can also get a DVD of some of his home movies (no sound) that you can show to the kids.

For the horse lovers out there, check out the Heartland series by Laruen Brooke.

Shirley Brinkerhoff has written a series about Nikki Sheldon. These are also similar to the Christy Miller and Holly’s Heart books.

One of my readers sent this information along to me last week.

“I just ordered some books from Lighthouse Trails Publishing and I think they have great selections for the older kids. Not all the books are fiction but they are good reads and warnings for the present time. Some recent releases of books by Corrie TenBoom. "In My Father's House" is a great book. There are other books "For Many Shall Come in My Name" and "Another Jesus" "Castles in the Sand" are great also for the high school kids.”

Many of the books I have mentioned are older books and some may not be in print. However, if you are interested in obtaining them, there are a number of great sources for out-of-print books. I’ll send those along in another email some day.

I hope you have a great week.

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment