Monday, November 18, 2013

Wish List ideas

Greetings!

I once taught at a school where the Home and School parents provided each teacher with large paper stars to hang on the outside door just before Parent/Teacher conferences. On each star teachers wrote one item that they wished they could have for the classroom. We were told to dream big because you never know what you might get. One teacher wished for a new overhead projector and I believe that a few parents got together and raised the money for one. Another wished for a new desk and one father happened to be upgrading the furniture in his office and gave her his old desk which was still in very good condition.

This might be a good idea for you to add books to your library or your classroom. Parents might be thinking of a gift to give you for Christmas to show their appreciation. If you had a classroom door wish list of books you would like to have in the classroom, parents could take the star of the book they would like to donate.

Another way is to have a wish list on Amazon. Parents can browse the list and when a book from your list is purchased, it disappears from your list so you don’t get more than one copy. I keep a list of books that I want or need for our library here and use it to remind myself what I need to buy. I print the list out and take it to my local book store and they give me a 20% discount very similar to what I would get through Amazon. That way I am supporting my community, but the list is much easier online. I have had a parent or two purchase books for the library from this wish list.

Put a personalized bookplate inside each book to honor the donor. This would also be a great time to display the book and promote it to the children to read.

Please consider a wish list of some kind for your school or classroom. How will parents know what you want or need if you don’t tell them?

Have a great week.
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment