Monday, January 9, 2017

Steps to a Better Collection, part 2

Hello,

I know that weeding is difficult – I have a hard time with it, too. Do what you tell your students to do. Break it up into smaller sections and do a section at a time. Start with one section – maybe do only the 100s and 200s this year. Find better books to improve just those two sections. Next year, weed and buy books for just the 300s and 400s. Keep going and in five years your whole library will be done and you will be ready to start again on the 100s and 200s again.

This week I want to also remind you to vary your reading levels as you weed and buy. How many books on Native Americans do you have? What reading levels are they at? At our school, the only classes who use this particular subject in their curriculum are in the primary grades, so I know that I need to have books on the lower levels for them as well as upper levels for the older students who are interested in this subject. This information can help me in the weeding process and also the buying process.

I know that some of you feel at a loss as to what kind of books are good? Where do I get them? How do I know what to buy? Find a professional who knows books and follow them. I can help you with books that I get for our school. I often share these titles with you. I also publish these weekly emails on my blog, so if you missed one or want to see them again, just go to sdalibrarian.blogspot.com and you will see all the posts I have made since January 2009. Other spots to find people would include Pinterest. Follow Deborah Ford, and you will find others that you like, too.

One of the most important things to do is to read the books you buy. You need to know what you are putting in the library and when a student needs a particular subject, you will likely remember and be able to help them. (The students will also think that you have read every book in the library!)

Audrey

PS – If you need ideas or titles for a subject, let me know and I may be able to help. I’ll also post an email about it since if one person has a question, others may have the same question.

No comments:

Post a Comment