Thursday, August 23, 2018

MakerSpaces: Yes or No?

Hello, Everyone! Welcome back!

To start of the new school year, I want to talk about something that I don’t know much about. MakerSpaces. I have seen articles, and ideas galore in library magazines and catalogs, but I don’t have any experience with this at all. However, I got a question about this from one of you, and it is quite a hot topic, so I thought we would discuss this. I will be the moderator.

First, a definition of MakerSpace. It is a “movement that allows students to be creative, innovative, independent, and technologically literate.” http://www.makerspaceforeducation.com/why-makerspace.html In real life, it is a place, or a space where students can go to do something creative, use their inventive juices, or just explore something. I have seen ideas that include Legos, computer games, coding, robotics, coloring station, puzzles, board games, junk creations, and much, much more.

Second, I am not doing any of this currently. I don’t have space or anyone to supervise this kind of activity. I love the idea, but the logistics of putting it into practice is just not an option for me in my library. At least, I don’t think so. However, I am willing to be convinced otherwise.

Do YOU have a MakerSpace or some kind of similar venture at your school? How does it operate? What activities do you have? What are the pros and cons you have experienced? Please send in your comments and answers to these questions. I will collect them and send them out to all of us to be inspired by you and what you do in your schools and classrooms.

The website I cited above has a lot of information for anyone. You can check it out and find out a lot more.
I hope you have a great weekend. Rest, relax, and rejuvenate!

Audrey

Currently Reading:
Between You and Me: Confessions of a Comma Queen by Mary Norris (Privately, I am a little bit of a spelling and grammar snob. I hate to see errors in writing, and if something is published, I feel I have a right to expect things to be spelled and punctuated correctly. The author was or is an editor who is paid to look for errors, and she tells about her experiences in a funny way.)
Call the Nurse: True Stories of a Country Nurse on a Scottish Isle by Mary J. MacLeod
How to Be A Person in the World: Ask Polly’s Guide Through the Paradoxes of Modern Life by Heather Havrilesky (This is a modern type of ‘Dear Abby’ where the questions that are sent in are answered by the author. She often uses bad language, but so far I have found it interesting to read the problems and her take on them. It was the title that intrigued me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment