Tuesday, February 12, 2019

American History Books

Hello,

This week I thought I would share my list of books I use for American History. Most of these books will work for all ages, but I suggest you take a look at each book before using it in your classes.
Also, you will likely notice that I have more than enough for the school year if I read one a week. This way I get to choose which ones will work and which ones I like best to read.

My table has a column for the spine label where the book is located in my library. This way I can find it quickly. All I have for the book is the title. I am planning to add the author later on. I started this as a table before I had really worked with Excel. I still am learning to manipulate Excel, but this would also be great in Excel format rather than a Word table. If and when I put it in Excel, I would add another layer to show if the book has resources that I can use such as Reading Rainbow, or photos to supplement, maybe a YouTube clip, etc.

I also have included local history. I think it is interesting to know what was happening here during the same time period. For example, when families traveled on the Oregon Trail in the 1840s, early Adventists experienced the Great Disappointment, The Sabbath message was accepted, and the Whitmans and others were killed here in our area at Whitman Mission. When the Gold Rush began, the Review and Herald paper began to be published, and soon after the first SDA church school was established. I really think this is very interesting.

This is an ever-changing project for me. I actually added a few more books this year and took a couple off. What you are getting is the current project, but I am very likely to change it to suit me as books come and go. There are a few books that I will never take off this list. Louise Borden has written some excellent books for historical events and I love them all. Sleds on the Boston Common, Henry and the Cannons, The Little Ships, and Across the Blue Pacific are all her books. I love The Cats in Krasinski Square even though it is from Europe during the war and not American History. Knit Your Bit shows how everyone participated in helping to knit even girls and boys. Yes, boys. The Memory Coat helps to see immigration through Ellis Island from another point of view. America is Under Attack is a little bit long, but tells the story of the Twin Towers and the people who helped others escape. Seven and a Half Tons of Steel is the story of how they used the center beam of the World Trade Center to create the hull of a ship. Amazing!

I am always on the lookout for new titles or new information to add to this to make my lessons even better, so if you have any information that you would like to share with me, I would be happy to know about it.

Have a great week,

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment