Thursday, February 26, 2009

Inappropriate books from home

Question: Do I allow my students to read books from home that I regard as not appropriate for Adventist Schools? What can I offer as a substitute?

Answer: Here are my thoughts on this. I want to specify that my answer is geared toward the upper elementary grades as this situation is more common in those grades.

I don’t believe we should allow students to use books for school assignments that aren’t appropriate for Adventist schools. I make sure when I give the assignment that I am specific as to what kind of books will not be accepted. If I assign a book report and the students may choose their own books, I tell them that any book in the school or classroom library is fine. If they bring a book from home, it will need to be approved first. This has worked out fine.

Now what about the student who brings the latest fantasy novel to school to read and it isn’t for an assignment? He or she just wants to read it. I don’t want to make a huge issue of this for a couple of reasons. If the student’s parent bought it for them, then it might appear as though we are criticizing the parent. Also, it will make the book even more attractive to them and to others in the classroom. I talk to the student privately and tell them that I’m glad they are enjoying reading, but that particular book is not appropriate for a Seventh-day Adventist school. I ask that they take the book home and not bring it back to school.

For the student who doesn’t want to read anything but fantasy books or other inappropriate reading material, what books can we offer as a substitute that the students will read and possibly even enjoy? There is a lot of historical fiction that is exciting and interesting and sometimes I will read a book or parts of a book to the class to get them started. I know a teacher that calls this “Historical Realism” to avoid the word “Fiction”.

I learned very early to never say to a junior high student “You will love this book!” That can be the death knell for the book even if they do like it. They will usually not admit it. I say this instead, “Here’s one that a lot of junior high students have enjoyed in the past. Why don’t you read the first two chapters and if you don’t like it, bring it back and we’ll find something else for you.” Or I’ll tell them that I haven’t read this book and I’m not sure what grade levels it would be best for. Would they be willing to read it and let me know what they think? Or I’ll tell them that I am not sure if this book is one that we still need to keep in the library. It would be good to get a student’ view of the book. Do they think it is good enough to keep or would they recommend we discard it? Usually students who like to read are willing to at least try something.

Please feel free to share any ideas you use to get kids to read. Also share how you handle the sticky situation of inappropriate reading material.
Short list of books that most kids like (AND that you are likely to have in your classroom or school library already.)

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare. This is NOT about a witch, but about a girl who lives during Puritan times and befriends a Quaker woman that is accused of being a witch. Kit ends up in the middle of the situation.

Swift Arrow by Josephine Cunnington Edwards. Boy is captured by Indians.

Spotted Boy and the Comanches by Mabel Earp Cason. Boy is captured by Indians.

Snow Treasure by Marie McSwigan. Children of Norway carry gold hidden on their sleds past the Nazi soldiers.

A few newer titles that you may not have, but might consider purchasing. If you are at a school that has a very conservative population, check them out of the local library and read them first to make sure they are books you feel comfortable placing in your library. I have a somewhat liberal population but even my more conservative parents like these below. I do know that each school is different.

Dive, Island, Everest by Gordon Korman. Each set is a trilogy of shorter books that are about adventures. Realistic Fiction, exciting. If you purchase book 1 of Dive for example, you will have to purchase the other two. Each book ends with a cliff-hanger.

Andrew Clements’ school stories – Frindle, No Talking, The Janitor’s Boy, etc.

Crispin, the Cross of Lead by Avi. Medieval fiction adventure. Avi does good research so the time period is true, but the story itself is not true. Check out other books by Avi. Many are true, most are terrific reads.

Zach’s Lie by Roland Smith. About a boy and his family that have been placed in witness protection. Realistic Fiction. The sequel to this book is Jack’s Run. Roland Smith also writes other books that are exciting adventures: Elephant Run, Peak.

Summer of the Monkeys by Wilson Rawls. The story contains a local legend about a fairy ring that some may find objectionable, but this is one that even reluctant readers like to read.

I am sure there are many more, but those pop into my head each time I need to find a good book for a student who doesn’t like to read anything.

Have a good week.
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment