Thursday, February 26, 2009

Which library automation software should I use?

Hi, Everyone.

OK. Now you are bring out the big guns in questions for me. I had two emails last week on which library automation software to use. I see that the Union recommends two different programs. Readerware and Resource Mate3.0 or Resource Mate 3.0 Plus. I looked at both websites and did a little research on them.

FIRST. I have not used either program. I am very interested in knowing if you use one or the other or even some other automation software. I am familiar with Alexandria COMPanion which we use here at Rogers and which was in place before I arrived here 8 years ago. Here is a quick overview of each program.

Readerware Automation Software

• Easy
• Cheap
• A Readerware database can hold between 10,000 and 20,000 items. It depends on the amount of data you store for each record. By default Readerware extracts reviews, these can be larger than the rest of the data combined. Without reviews you can get more than 20,000 items in a database.
• Tutorial available
• Free 30-day trial
• Support via email only, no phone support
• Newsletter
• Uses Windows or Mac
• Free upgrades
• Pictures for many books in print
• Often used for home libraries

Standard Edition includes the software for books only and no scanner $40.00

Standard Edition bundle includes the software for books, music, and $85.00
video and includes a free scanner (Pen type)


Resource Mate3
• No limit to the number of items
• Demo available (You must enter information to access this)
• Training videos available. There are three videos. One for $35, two for $59, three for $89. (Schools may be able to share these or the Union might purchase them and lend them out if enough schools choose this option.)
• Uses Windows
• Tech support – first 3 months is free, then $60 - $90 a year)
• Easy – input the ISBN and it searches. You can get Dewey information and subject information.
• Easy to add information that you want personally for your school
o Example: a teacher wants to remember the books he or she used for the rainforest unit they are teaching. Type in ‘rainforest’ for each book that does not already come up when you search for the rainforest books.

Regular Version – $195.00
• Small to medium libraries
• No item limit
• Built-in reports such as author, categories, call number, circulation, etc.
• Password protected – the computer can be used for searching and the information cannot be damaged by someone searching on the computer
• Can print spine labels
• Spiral-bound user manual
• 3 months free tech support
• Easy to upgrade if you choose


Plus Version – includes the above and. . . $395.00
• Multiple people can install the program on their home computers and enter items there, then bring the disk or flash drive to the main computer and merge the items to the main database. This would be easy for volunteers to help.
• Barcoding – need to purchase the bar codes and a scanner
• Inventory reporting
• History of circulation activity.
ResourceMate® School Basic Bundle
The ResourceMate® School Basic Bundle is the perfect choice for a smaller school or a school just beginning the transition into an automated library. This package still has great features of circulation control for teachers and students, as well as everything you need to get your catalog up and running quickly. The School Basic Bundle includes…
• ResourceMate® 3.0 Plus
• 1 patron search license
• CCD bar code scanner
• Your first 1,000 laminated item barcode labels
• Extended Circulation
• Spell CheckOne package of labels
• One year of Support
• Level 1 Training Video
Price $ 992

ResourceMate® Non-profit and Association Basic Bundle
This ResourceMate® bundle is ideal for societies, associations and organizations. It contains everything you need to make an impressive and organized collection of many different types of resources. It also contains a module to let you track the many different types of brochures and pamphlets that you may be giving away. The Non-profit and Association Bundle includes…
• ResourceMate® 3.0 Plus
• Pamphlet Inventory
• Spell Check
• One package of labels
• One year of Support
• Level 1 Training Video
Price $ 657


Scanner Information
You will likely need to purchase a scanner if it doesn’t come with your software. The pen type is less expensive, but I noticed somewhere that they can be a bit tricky to use at first. There is a CCD Barcode Reader which is a point and shoot type, or you could go with the laser barcode reader. You will need to decide.

Barcodes and labels
You will need to purchase labels and barcodes at least at some point, so make note of that. Some labels and barcodes may be supplied at first, but you will need to get more eventually. Highsmith is a very good resource for library supplies and they have competitive prices. Demco is another good source for library supplies and they are very similar in price.

Other things to keep in mind.
1. Where should I put the barcode? Decide on a position and then put them all in the same area. Our barcodes are in the inside back cover of each book and on the front top left corner of each magazine. (Don’t ask me why our barcodes are INSIDE each book!) If I were setting up a library now, I would put them on the cover either front or back near the spine and cover them with a clear label. In any case, choose a place that will be easy for the barcode reader or scanner to read.
2. Remember to back up your information on a regular basis. I am busy enough here that I make a back up every day. That way if I have a problem, I don’t lose more than a day or two of information. If you are a small school, you might not want to do this every day, but I would make a back up at least once a week.
3. Consider using your automation program to check out your textbooks. It might be an idea you want to use or it might not.
So, after all that, here is my recommendation. I believe the Resource Mate program is what I would use if I were starting out. I think I would begin with the regular Version for $195.00 and I would get the tech support package along with that. That way if I had questions, I could feel free to call any time without worrying about extra costs, especially when I was setting up my program. Then I would decide later if I wanted to upgrade to the Plus program. It costs $200 to upgrade, which is the same price as if you bought the Plus program in the first place so you aren’t missing any savings. Actually, the School Basic Bundle looks pretty good to me, too. I haven’t calculated each item individually, but it might be a small savings by getting a bundle.
Costs can be one of the biggest hurdles. I am not good at fund raising and hate doing it, but I think I might see if I could get people to donate parts of the program. If a scanner costs $125.00, then maybe someone would donate the scanner, or even two or three people could buy the scanner. You may have much better ideas.
Let me know how it is coming for you. I would like to know which program you use now or which program you choose to use if you decide to automate your library.
Have a good week.
Audrey

PS Alexandria’s costs are $1,000.00 for the software for one user with a yearly fee of $300. This included 24 hour tech support (and they are very good), all upgrades, and a user manual either in print or download format. I believe they give quite a lot of set-up support and training at the beginning. If you have more than one computer to use the program on, the next level is a 5-user level which is $2,000.00 software cost and $500 yearly fee. This may not be feasible for most of you, but I thought you might like to know about it anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment