Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Books for the Library

Greetings!
I have been processing some books for our library and I want to share some wonderful titles that you might decide to purchase for your library. My choices this week are totally random in subject matter. I just picked books that I liked particularly well.

One set of books I recently bought is a great set for your career section. The set is published by ABDO Publishing and each book shows the different tools that each professional uses. The book is appropriate for nearly all ages although the reading level is low. We are placing these books in the Everybody books section so the younger children will have some information on careers. If you don’t have any books on career choices, that is a section to improve.



I found an article years ago about a traveling library in Africa that uses camels to haul the books. I thought this was so interesting and cut the article out, put it away, and promptly forgot about it. Last year I was culling a huge pile of papers at home and came across the article. I went to the internet and did a little research and found a book called “My Librarian is a Camel” by Margriet Ruurs. I bought the book and was fascinated by the different ways books are brought to people all over the world. Libraries come by boat, bus, train, wheelbarrow, elephant, donkey, and even bicycle. Photographs show each country and the ways books come to the people who live in remote areas. It makes me feel so fortunate to live where books are so readily available.

Someone recommended the book “Me . . . Jane” by Patrick McDonnell to me and I decided to get it. It is the story of Jane Goodall and her childhood decision to become a naturalist and work with gorillas. Some of her childhood drawings and writings are shown in the center of the book. The story is simple and sweet and I wholeheartedly recommend it.


How’s the pet section of your library? Do you even have one? That is a section that is popular with our students so I try to keep an eye out for good books on pets. I found a set on large dogs that I like. Each book tells about the dog and the history of the breed, the characteristics of the breed, and the pros and cons of owning that particular breed of dog. Photographs make this a great choice for your library.


Do you have any books to help your children understand relationships with others? There is a lot of talk about bullying in schools and as much as we’d like to think it doesn’t happen in our schools, the truth is that we are not immune. This set has one book on dealing with bullies, and other subjects that are worthwhile to discuss in class. Respecting others and treating them with kindness is how our Christ modeled his behavior for our example. This set of books written by Susan Martineau is called the Positive Steps set and is published by Smart Apple Media. I also have a page from the inside of one of the books so you can have a glimpse of the layout.



I cannot resist a good children’s cookbook. They are so much fun and kids love them. If you don’t have any children’s cookbooks, I would urge you to consider adding a couple to your library. Then watch and see how they are used in your area. I would bet that you end up adding more.

While we are talking cookbooks, think about getting some to represent the different cultures and countries that our students study. The two books shown below are easy to handle and have recipes and other cooking information and are specifically meant for children.


Check your library and see where your gaps are. Then keep an eye out for books to fill the gaps and make your library a better resource for your school.

Hope you have a great week.
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment