Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Ellen G. White books and a Holiday idea

Greetings!

I received a question this week from a reader asking if there was a preferred way to catalog the books of Ellen G. White. I think the easiest way to do this is to use a ‘W’ on the top line and then the abbreviation for the particular book. For example, you would catalog The Acts of the Apostles like this:

W
AA

I found in the Index to the Writings of Ellen G. White a list of her books and the abbreviations for many of them. If you would like this list, check in the first few pages of your index to find them. If you don’t have an index and would like a copy, let me know and I will send you a copy. There are other books that aren’t listed there, but you can follow the general pattern and catalog them accordingly.

I found an idea in a library journal that you might like to use to encourage reading over the holidays. One librarian used the song “The 12 Days of Christmas” as her start and then selected 12 recently published books to recommend to the students. She called it her “12 Books of Christmas” reading list and posted this in the school library, in the newsletter, as a bulletin board display, and made a bookmark for the list. I might not use recently published books, but would choose books that I wanted the students to read or books that were favorites of mine. The point of the reading list is to keep books and reading on their minds through the holidays. Try it out and see if you like it.

Encourage books as gifts and consider starting a stash of books that you can use for gifts. When I have a book fair, I use my points to get books from the fair and put them in a separate cupboard to use for gifts.

I hope you have a great week.

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment