Monday, September 24, 2012

E-Reader Policy

Greetings!

Last week I talked about the importance of reading aloud. I got a response from a teacher telling me about the books she enjoys reading aloud to her students and hoping other teachers will share their favorites, as well. So, you are invited to send a quick email to me listing books that you love reading aloud. I will share the list in the near future and we can all enjoy them and maybe even find some new favorites.

This week I want to talk about e-books and e-readers in the school. I know that many of your schools do not allow Kindles or Nooks at school. However, many of you do allow these and those that don’t allow them YET, may find that you will need to do so in the next year or two. The e-reader is here to stay. That being said – you may consider having a contract or policy for the e-reader. I hope you have a Computer User Agreement for the computer use in your school. (If not, then that is another post.) The e-reader contract would be similar. In your e-Book User Agreement here are some things to consider including. I took the following items from http://www.pointpleasant.k12.nj.us/Forms/Policy2361_eReaderAgreement.pdf

1. All e-readers must be labeled with the student’s first and last name.
2. Each student is responsible for his or her own e-reader and is strongly cautioned not to lend it to another student while in school.
3. E-readers can be used in class only when the teacher gives the student permission. If a student is using an e-reader at an inappropriate time, the teacher may revoke student permission to use the e-reader during that class.
4. E-readers are to be used for reading and teacher-approved school work only. Any student found to be using his/her e-reader for unapproved activity or Internet access during school hours will lose his/her privileges.
5. E-readers may NOT be used for audio books, music, or movies in school.
6. The privilege to use an e-reader can be revoked at any time.

I googled e-reader user agreements and was quite surprised at some of the restrictions that public schools and other church schools put on the e-readers that are brought to school. Some stated that ALL material downloaded on the e-reader must be appropriate for the school. I was surprised at this, but it isn’t a bad idea. Others said that if students bring an e-reader to school a teacher may at any time look at the material downloaded to make sure that nothing is inappropriate. Others said that while the e-reader is at school, the wireless must be disabled. The list goes on. Do a search for e-reader agreements and see what you can learn.

I am now going to admit that my school does not yet have a policy or e-reader agreement. I have mentioned to the administration that this may be something that we need to do, and we are likely to either have a policy or consider a policy at some point this year. When we have a policy, I will certainly share ours with you. I just feel like it is good to be prepared for the coming of the e-reader rather than have to hustle to catch up.

If your school allows e-readers, I would urge you to consider a policy before any problems arise. If you are considering allowing them, then a policy ahead of time would certainly be appropriate.

I hope you have a great week. Don’t forget to send me ideas for good read alouds.

Audrey

1 comment:

  1. This ereader policy is a great idea , it gives students guide on how to be responsible in handling their ebooks,

    bookboon dot com

    ReplyDelete