Monday, January 28, 2013

Selection Policy and Reconsideration Policy

Greetings!

I have had a few requests lately for policies for the library. Some of you are getting ready for school evaluations. I feel your pain! I have sent this in past years, but it is always good to be reminded of this point.

I just looked up the word ‘policy’ in the dictionary and found that it means ‘a plan or course of action’. That is exactly why we all need policies in our schools. You all have policies for your school and having a policy in place for the library is also a wise move. You may not ever use it, but it is there in the event you need it. You won’t have to scramble to quickly make up something and then be accused of showing partiality toward or against a student or parent. The policy is there and in place already.

I have a policy for the selection of books, the maintenance of the collection (weeding), and a reconsideration policy.

My Reconsideration Policy is important because there are times that someone may challenge a book that you have in the library. The policy gives you time to reevaluate the material and also time for the person who has challenged the book to also explain why he or she feels the book is inappropriate. I heard of a person who searched a school library catalog online and sent a list of books that he felt should be removed from the library. He had searched the terms “witch” and “magic” and found books on optical illusions and a historical novel titled “The Witch of Blackbird Pond” about a woman who was accused of being a witch but was not. He had not read the books and did not know what was in them, but immediately jumped to the conclusion that the books were inappropriate by simply reading the titles.

There is a Reconsideration Form that the person who has challenged material in the library must fill out explaining what is inappropriate about the book. This gives you time to reevaluate the book and also gives assurance to the challenger that he or she will be heard and given respect for his or her opinions.

I have had books challenged in the past and most of the time, I immediately realized that the book was not worth fighting for and removed it from the collection. Later I put the Reconsideration Policy in place so I have it ready just in case I need it.

I will attach both the Selection Policy and the Reconsideration Form to this email. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Have a great week.

Audrey

1 comment:

  1. Hello Audrey!
    I just found your blog and have found it incredibly helpful. I am the new librarian at Hood View Junior Academy outside Portland, and am very interested in your Selection Policy and Reconsideration Form. I know that book challenging has been an activity in the past and as I move into this position, I want to make sure that I have a good handle on what is in our library and know how to deal with the challenges that will most likely come my way. Could you send me these forms please? My e-mail is hchristensen@hvja.org Thank you so much for your wonderful insight!

    ReplyDelete