Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Silent Reading

Greetings!

When I began teaching in a two-teacher classroom, I had 15 students in grades 5 – 8 and only about 3 of them enjoyed reading for pleasure. All of them could read, but they just didn’t. I don’t remember when I learned of Sustained Silent Reading (at that time it was called Uninterrupted Sustained Silent Reading or USSR for short), but it sounded like a time where I could read silently in school without feeling guilty! I began to implement this with the guidelines I learned about. The students each had self-selected reading material and when everyone was settled in their chairs, I set a timer and we began. I began with 10 minutes and we worked up to 20 minutes a day. It was on the schedule and we very seldom skipped the time slot. At first, students reluctantly pulled out their books, but soon they started looking forward to this time slot. “Time for Russia!” one boy would call out jokingly. By the end of the school year, 14 out of 15 of my students enjoyed reading for pleasure.

A few years later I taught a self-contained third grade class and implemented Sustained Silent Reading there. (I left off the “Uninterrupted” word.) I began in third grade with 5 minutes a day for about a week until they had the hang of it, then increased the time to 10 minutes for a few weeks, and finally went to 15 minutes a day. Again I set a timer and we all read our books. When students left my third grade classroom they were all reading well above grade level. The only thing I did that the other teachers did not do was to have the silent reading period daily.

A daily silent reading period helps students learn to enjoy reading. Think about it. All the other reading students do in school is for schoolwork , but this is the one time that THEY can choose what to read and they don’t have to do a report on it. Some teachers ask students to read for a certain amount of time at home, and this is good, but they most likely don’t see the modeling they see at school.

The following guidelines are the ones I used.

1. Explain what silent reading is. Explain what sustained means. During this time no one is talking or moving around the room. Everyone has a book or enough reading material to last for the time without having to get up and distract everyone in order to find another book. If you have a multigrade classroom or non-readers, consider having baskets for younger students to fill with enough books to browse through silently.

2. During the silent reading time, everyone is reading silently. This includes the teacher and any visitors to the room. I have had adult observers or guests in our room and we explain that everyone reads. Since I tend to lose track of time while reading, I set a timer for the time period. I quietly ask if everyone is ready and start the timer. We all are settled and all are reading. At first you may need to gently instruct those who whisper or get up to get another book. I stop the timer and remind everyone that this reading time is silent. I also stop the timer if someone gets up and moves around. Then the next day, I double check to make sure that everyone has enough to read for the time period before we begin. Make sure that students have had bathroom breaks before you start.

3. This program must be regular. Daily is best. If you have it sporadically, it will not have the impact on reading it should have. Think about having math once in a while. What kind of math skills will the students learn? You need to make time for this.

It generally takes a few days, but they catch on very quickly and within a week or two, we are quickly settled and ready to read. After a week or so, I tell the students that we are now going to read for 10 minutes, then later increase it to 15 minutes.

After a couple of months of SSR, I plan a Read-In. I tell students they can bring a healthy snack and a pillow or blanket and we will settle in on the floor and have SSR for 30 minutes. They love this! After a few weeks, they are begging to do it again. Sometimes the class is working toward a reward and we vote to have a Read-In for our class treat. I usually have a Read-In only about about 4 – 5 times during the year and always choose a Friday for it. It is a great way to end the week.

So to sum up my guidelines for SSR:
1. DAILY
2. SUSTAINED
3. SILENT
4. Teacher modeling reading.
5. Call it what you want: SSR, DEAR time, etc., just DO it!

I believe you will be surprised and pleased with the results after even a fairly short time. I’d love to hear about your Silent Reading Plan.

Have a great week.

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment