Monday, March 27, 2017

Book Swap Station

Hello!
I have an idea for you for books that you’ve weeded from your library. I set up a Book Swap Station that sits outside the library door so that anyone can stop by and swap a book to take home and read. Mine looks like this:


We obtained this small bookcase and decided it would be perfect for our swap station. I encourage students to take a book if they need one and bring another one later to substitute. (I really don’t worry about whether or not they bring one back or not.) You can see that some of the books have black markings on the lower spine. This is where we mark out our spine label for our discarded books. Others have been either donated by families or teachers wanting to de-clutter their classrooms. We just put them inside here and one of my Library Club members will straighten it as needed.
My sign is difficult to read in the first picture, so I took a close-up for you.


My Swap Deposit Box or Book Swap Drop Box sits just inside the library door. I decided that if I had one available, it would help in case students decided to trade out any titles that might possibly be inappropriate. I just took a nice larger box with a good lid and covered it with the blue bulletin board paper. It looks nice and just about any book will fit inside it.


On occasion, I set out a table in the hallway right outside the library door with a pile of books on it and a sign that says “FREE”. The books disappear like candy.

Rarely, but at times we weed a book that a particular teacher just loves and still uses. We discard it from our computer and just gift that teacher with the book.

All of these are ways that weeded books can still be useful. I am working on weeding in my library. It is hard to do, but I know that my library will be better off by weeding out books that are no longer valuable to our curriculum or worth the shelf space.

I hope you had a great vacation and are ready for the last push until June.

Audrey


No comments:

Post a Comment