Friday, November 15, 2019

Wish Lists

Hello,

It is nearing the holidays and people are thinking about giving to others. This may be a great time to set up a Wish List for your classroom, classroom library, or school library. I have an Amazon Wish List with books and DVDs I want for the library. If you have a list that parents and church members can access, you are likely to receive things that you really need.

On my Amazon Wish List, I add books that students or teachers request that are not immediate needs, and once or twice a year I place an order. I know exactly what to order since the item is on my list and I have not forgotten anything. I have also printed out my list and taken it to our local bookstore where they offered me the same 20% discount that I could get from Amazon. They placed my order and called me a week or two later when all my books were in.

I was presenting library information to the Children’s Literature class from Walla Walla University yesterday and the professor had a great idea. She thought that setting out a small tree with bare branches and paper ornaments or shapes hanging from it with items you want would be a great year-round ‘wish list’. It could be any kind of tree or a pretend Dr. Seuss-like tree, or whatever works for you. Parents and visitors can see it and take off the paper with the name of the item they will purchase for you. I was at a school that used this idea at conference time. We taped large yellow stars with items on each to our classroom doors. The teacher next to my classroom laughed and put ‘teacher desk’ on one of her stars. One of her parents saw that and gave her a desk. His office was remodeling and she got a great desk. You just never know. I wished I had dreamed larger after finding that out.

Have a great weekend.

Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment