Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Display Ideas

Greetings!

Winter is upon us and it can be dreary outside. This is a great time to make sure our libraries and classrooms are bright and cheery. It may be time for some new displays. I have some ideas for you. These are things that I am doing in my library right now.

1. Put Up New Posters: Do you have some posters up in the library? Maybe it is time to change those posters and replace them with new ones. If you don’t have posters up, think about asking some of your student artists make posters for the library. This could be a book report option, or an art assignment, or another idea that you have that is even better than mine. The posters could promote reading, or an author, or a particular book.

2. Change out displays: Do you have any displays in the library? If not, then this is a great time to put a few out. I have one for a featured author. I have a very small bookshelf that is perfect for this idea. I put the author’s name and some biographical information along with the books from the library shelves.

What about doing a display for a particular subject? I have a display on pandas, and one on winter and snow. If you have any items that go along with the books, put those items out to draw attention to the display. Put out plush pandas, fake snow, or any other items that go along with your display. Ask the students to bring things from home to add to the display.



3. Contests: About a year ago I had a contest for handmade Christmas ornaments for our library tree. All ornaments were to have something to do with a book. I then had large posters made of the winners and put them up high above the stacks on a blank wall. We have a teacher who is gifted with camera skills and she came and took pictures of the students, then used PhotoShop to put in colorful backgrounds. For a small amount of money, I have a great wall. If you only have a small space, you can just use your regular camera and print copies that fit your space.

I also have found a blog that is dedicated to library display ideas. Check out http://schoollibrarydisplays.blogspot.com/. If you have other display ideas, I would be more than happy to hear them and share them.

Have a wonderful week.
Blessings,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment