Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Amazon Wish List

Greetings!

This morning a parent came to the library and asked if we had a specific title. After she learned that we don’t have that particular title, she suggested that it might be a worthwhile option for our library and I agreed. I put that title on my list. I have a list of subjects that I want to purchase eventually. For example, I need some books for the ‘E’ section about children with disabilities, working mothers, and cowboys. I keep an eye out for world leaders for the junior high students since this is studied every other year. When I get a chance to browse online or through my magazines and happen to see a title that would be good for my library, I write it down. I have found that a list of specific titles is perfect for an Amazon Wish List. As you add books to your Amazon list, you will be directed to other books similar to the ones you are browsing. You can also look for subjects that you want and even specify the grade or age levels for those books, too.
When you have specific titles you want, look them up at Amazon, and click ‘Add to Wish List’. There are several reasons why this is a great idea.

1. Anyone can access the list and purchase a book for you. I have had a few parents browse our list and purchase titles. Hey, that’s one more book for the library that I didn’t have to buy!

2. The list can be accessed by you from any computer.

3. The list is a record of what you have bought and what you still need or want. A paper list can be lost or misplaced just when you need it, but the Amazon list is always there.

4. You don’t have to purchase the books from Amazon just because you have a list there. I keep my list on Amazon and when it is time to purchase, I print it out and take it to my local book store. They have all the information they need to order the books for you. They may even give you a discount equal to the Amazon discount! I have ordered books for the library from Amazon and also ordered from the local book store. It is easier for me to keep track of the books and the amount spent by purchasing from my local book store. Amazon sends the books as they are ready and charges in increments while I get one statement from the book store. Since other teachers at my school use the school credit card, it can be a small headache to sort out whose charges are appearing on the card; so again, it is easier for me to order from my local store. I also like the idea of supporting a local business. As books are purchased elsewhere, I go to my list and delete them so I don’t receive multiple copies that aren’t wanted.

5. It is easy to start a wish list and easy to keep it up. You can add not only books, but DVDs, CDs, and other items that you want.

If you do not have an Amazon Wish List for your school, this is a great time to start one. I hope you have a great week.
Blessings,
Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment