Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Audio Books

Hello,

What is your opinion of audio books or books on tape? My opinion has changed over the years. I prefer to hold a book or my Kindle and turn pages as I read or be able to quickly go back and reread something. I am not a great listener and can get distracted while listening to a book and at some point, ‘wake up’ and wonder what happened in the story in the last ten minutes. So I have not really had an incentive or interest to get audio books.

However . . .

My son and husband have subscribed to Audible for a few years now and both love it. My son has a fairly lengthy commute to work and listens to books during the commute. My husband has times that he wants to listen to a book and has ‘read’ some of his favorites through Audible.

Most schools have a few students who are low in reading skills, but still want to ‘read’ the same books that their peers are reading. By listening and following along, they are able to get the meaning and the words they might have missed if just reading the book itself. After researching I realized that Audible wasn’t a good option for a school library. I have done my best to find audio editions of books that teachers suggest would be helpful for students.

At first, we shelved the audio books in a separate section and students or parents could just go to that shelf and find our collection of audio books. However, at this time we have them shelved on the shelf right beside the paper book. We encourage students to pick up both the audio and paper books and check them out together.

Some positives for audio books.
1. Good for a struggling reader.
2. Great for families that are traveling. They can check out an audio book or two and the whole family can listen in the car.
3. They aren’t quite as intimidating to children who might listen to ‘Little House on the Prairie’, but would never pick up a thick book like that.
4. It is a good way to provide differentiation for children in the classroom.

Negatives might include:
1. Tapes might become damaged or CDs lost.
2. Expensive.

Copyright law allows libraries to make a backup copy. I have made a backup copy and put the original CD or tape in a safe place. If the copy is damaged, I can make another copy of the original. Legally, I am NOT allowed to make multiple copies to share with a class unless I have the same number of audio books. One backup copy per book. So that does help with the damaged issue and expensive issue. They are more expensive than books, but the positives can outweigh the negatives and just might be the incentive to go ahead and purchase them anyway. If you only get a few each year, your collection will grow little by little.

So what should you begin with? What about some of the Pathways books or the supplemental books? They would support the curriculum if you need to justify the expense. Also consider getting some classics that will stand the test of time. This might be just the thing to get those books in circulation again.

So, back to Audible. Last summer I was going to have a 5 hour drive one way and again home at the end of the week. I asked my husband about getting a book for myself through his account and putting it on my phone or my Kindle. He encouraged me to get my own account. I blanched at the thought because I didn’t think I would use it enough and it would be a waste of money. I decided that I would get my own account and then cancel it if I found I wasn’t using it. I still have my account. I have a nice collection of books that I know I will listen to again and again, so I am glad I have it. I’m still not a good listener, but I’m improving!

Have a great week.

Audrey

Currently Reading
The Head of Kay’s by P. G. Wodehouse
In a French Kitchen by Susan Herrmann Loomis
Locally Laid by Lucie Amundsen
The Gold Shoe by Grace Livingston Hill

No comments:

Post a Comment