Monday, February 22, 2016

New Books, and I Mean NEW

Hello!
I have some new books for you. I told you about the Sunflower Award that I do here at Rogers. I only have a handful of students who are actually reading the books, but I’m glad to have some great stories for those few readers. I am now reading the books I plan to use for next year. All of these books have been published in 2016.


Pax by Sara Pennypacker. I just finished one called Pax by Sara Pennypacker. You might recognize her for her Clementine series, which are fun books, too. This book is very different from those, though. I was curious about it because there is a lot of buzz in the library publications about it. When I first saw the book, I thought it looked nice, but not my style. After seeing it multiple times and having a friend who teaches English ask me about it, I finally decided to order it and read it. I am so glad I did.
Pax is about a fox and a young boy. War comes to the area and the father enlists. Mother has died, so Peter, the boy, is sent to live with grandfather. Grandfather won’t tolerate a pet fox, so father makes Peter release Pax into the wild. Pax has been raised as a pet dog, so he isn’t accustomed to being alone in the wild, and Peter knows this. The story moves chapter by chapter between Pax and Peter. While I read a chapter about Pax, I was wondering how Peter was doing, and then reading about Peter, hoped Pax was OK.
If you decide to get a copy, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.


The Skeleton Tree by Iain Lawrence. For those who enjoy a good survival story. This takes the story of Hatchet by Gary Paulsen to a new level. In this story, twelve-year-old Chris starts on a sailing trip with his uncle. He discovers that an older boy, Frank, is also along. Within 48 hours, the boat sinks and Chris and Frank are the only survivors. They have no radio, no food, not much of anything. Frank seems to hate Chris but they need to get along if they are going to survive. In the wilderness of Alaska, there are many problems to overcome, the least of which is the weather. This book has a twist that I wasn’t expecting which makes things really interesting.


Ruby Lee and Me by Shannon Hitchcock. The year is 1969 and integration has come to Sarah Beth Willis’ town. Her best friend in the summertime is Ruby Lee, a black girl, but when school begins, their friendship will not be the same. Black children and white children are not best friends at school. Sarah just doesn’t see how or why this should be. But there are a lot of changes for Sarah this year. Her little sister, Robin, has been in a very bad accident and Sarah believes it was her fault. The family has to sell their home and move to a smaller one in town in order to pay hospital bills. Sarah has to adjust to all these changes plus a new school and a new teacher. At the end of the book, the reader discovers that the story is true. It is the author’s story.


Lizzie and the Lost Baby by Cheryl Blackford. During World War 2, children who lived in London were sent to the country to stay with strangers there in order to keep them safe. Lizzie and her brother end up in a foster home where the people aren’t unkind, but don’t really want them. One of the people they stay with appears to be crazy. Nearby are a family of Travelers, or gypsies. They have their own problems and due to one problem, a baby is left alone. Lizzie finds the baby and tries to help by taking the baby to her foster parents. The crazy lady believes this is her baby who died a few years before, and she keeps the baby. Meanwhile, the gypsies are searching for their lost child. Soon, Lizzie meets with Elijah, the brother of the lost baby. She realizes who the baby belongs to, but now is unsure of what to do. Should she give the baby back to Elijah, or should she just keep quiet about it?


I hope you have a great week.

Audrey

Currently Reading
The Head of Kay’s by P. G. Wodehouse
In a French Kitchen by Susan Herrmann Loomis
Anna and the Swallow Man by Gavriel Savit
This Side of Wild by Gary Paulsen

No comments:

Post a Comment