Friday, October 11, 2019

Weeding in the 520s

Hello, All,

It may be that I am not paying attention, but I got some information this week from the American Library Association about weeding the library. I am really interested in this, because it is hard to know what to weed and what to keep sometimes. One person has simplified the * CREW method for school libraries down to one page. I downloaded it and printed it out. In the Astronomy section she mentioned weeding out all Astronomy books that mention Pluto as a planet. This morning I did just that. I went through the Astronomy books (520s) and pulled each one off the shelf. I checked the published date. If it was earlier than 2004, I put it to be discarded. If it was after 2004, I checked the index and looked at the Pluto pages to see how they were treating Pluto. Some said that Pluto was being considered to not be a planet, but they still included Pluto in the planet list. Tossed. Some said that Pluto was no longer a planet, but a dwarf planet instead. Keep.

If you haven’t done this yet, please do so very soon. If you have already weeded out incorrect Pluto information, why didn’t you tell me to do it too!?

Poor Pluto!

Have a great weekend.

Audrey

• The CREW method is a complete weeding manual for public libraries. I’ve used it to help weed in my library and also when giving advice to you in the past. It is free and you can download it online. https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ld/pubs/crew/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment